Sunday, May 20, 2007

first jar




having failed to drag myself out of bed before 6 am I did not expect to have much luck with Nightjars today but some very good fortune befell me when this male started singing briefly at 09:00hrs in bright sunshine----in spite of knowing where it was singing from after 25 minutes I could still not see it so inevitably I managed to flush a female from near my feet! blundering after the female I also flushed the male which had been sat in a very photogenic position! Cursing myself I did not expect a second chance but the male suddenly churred again briefly and this time I discovered a way of locating perched Nightjars; nesting Willow Warblers don't like them and a local pair were dive bombing the male!---the flaw in this method of course is that you need a Willow Warbler to have a nest near a Nightjar perch.

No comments: